THE HUMANITARIAN POLICY OF THE HUNGARIAN IN ZAKARPATHY: HISTORICAL ORIGINS AND MODERN REALIZATION
It is stated that the reasons for the activation of the humanitarian policy of Hungary in Transcarpathia are: the role of the former lands in the national consciousness; the Hungarian population of these lands, which must retain its national identity; common history, cultural domination, former state greatness; the population who accepted Hungarian citizenship as an electorate. One of the main subjects of Hungary’s offensive humanitarian policy, which focuses on the language issue, is Ukraine, given its difficult situation. The Hungarian side depends on its further relations with Ukraine depending on its humanitarian policy, requiring Ukraine to adjust its policy according to the Hungarian vision of conflicting humanitarian problems.
The right-wing, conservative concept of the Orbán government about a strong and active state resonates with a certain statism that has historically emerged in the minds of Hungarian society. It embodies the concept of a Hungarian ethnic nation, an important component of which is the support of Hungarian minorities living abroad (including in Transcarpathia), helping them maintain their identity.
The problem of actualizing the language issue reflects all of the most difficult moments of Hungary’s «central-eastern policy». These include the historical, cultural and socio-psychological aspects of this problem: the need to overcome the national trauma and the «Trianon complex» from the loss of Transcarpathia and other lands after World War II; seeking the commitment of the diaspora and the patriotic electorate; preservation of the Hungarian historical and cultural heritage in Transcarpathia; use of the requirements of the Hungarian right-wing radicals for the return of historical territories for the political blackmail of Ukraine.
The importance of the development of the partnership between Ukraine and Hungary was stated, and it was stressed that the implementation of the Neighborhood Policy in the context of European integration processes requires the implementation of humanitarian cooperation activities, in order to develop common approaches to the issues of language, history and culture.
2. Ofitsiinyi Budapesht bude robyty vse, shchob uhorska komanda Zakarpattia mala khocha b odnoho predstavnyka v parlamenti – politoloh Dmytro Tuzhanskyi [Official Budapest will do its best to ensure that the Transcarpathian Hungarian team has at least one representative in parliament – political scientist Dmitry Tuzhansky]. (n. d.). hromadske.radio. Retrieved from https://hromadske.radio/publications/oficiynyy-budapesht-bude-robyty-vseshchob-ugorska-komanda-zakarpattya-mala-hocha-b-odnogo-predstavnyka-v-parliamentipolitolo (viewed 25.10.2019) [in Ukrainian].
3. Magyarország Alaptörvénye [Fundamental Law of Hungary]. (2011, Apr. 25). net.jogtar.hu. Retrieved from https:// net.jogtar.hu/jr/gen/hjegy_doc.cgi?Docid=A1100425.ATV (viewed 25.10.2019) [in Hungarian].
4. Komentar MZS Ukrainy shchodo antyukrainskykh vyslovliuvan kerivnytstva Uhorshchyny [Comment by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine on the anti-Ukrainian statements of the Hungarian leadership]. (n. d.). mfa. gov.ua. Retrieved from https://mfa.gov.ua/en/press-center/news/66511-commentar-mzs-ukrajinishhodo-antiukrajinsykih-vislovlyuvany-kerivnictva-ugorshhini (viewed 25.10.2019) [in Ukrainian].
5. Controller, Laszlo. (2002). Istoriia Venhrii. Tysiacheletie v tsentre Yevropy [History of Hungary. Millennium in the center of Europe]. Moskow: Publishing house “All the World”. (656 p.). www.e-reading.club. Retrieved from https:// www.e-reading.club/bookreader.php/1040720/Kontler_-_Istoriya_Vengrii._Tysyacheletie_v_centre_Evropy.html (viewed 25.10.2019) [in Russian].
6. Lendvai, Paul. (2012). Hungary Between Democracy and Authoritarianism: A book review. hungarianspectrum.org. Retrieved from https://hungarianspectrum.org/2012/07/28/paul-lendvai-hungary-between-democracy-and-authoritarianism-a-book-review/ (viewed 25.10.2019) [in English].
7. Zakarpattsi v uhorskomu rabstvi. Pro tse movchyt Budapesht [Transcarpathians in Hungarian slavery. Budapest is silent about this]. (2013). In: U rabstvi: usni istorii prymusovykh robitnykiv iz Zakarpattia 1939–1944 rokiv – In Slavery: Oral Stories of Forced Workers from Transcarpathia 1939–1944. Uzhhorod: IVA. (164 p.). www.radiosvoboda. org. Retrieved from https://www.radiosvoboda.org/a/29098642.html4 (viewed 25.10.2019) [in Ukrainian].
8. Shcho Viktor Orban hovoryv pro Ukrainu [What Victor Orban Said About Ukraine]. (n. d.). nv.ua. Retrieved from https://nv.ua/eng/world/geopolitics/party-victor-orbana-peremohla-na-viborakh-v-uhorshchini-shcho-vinhovoriv-pro-ukrain-2463081.html?prefer_lang=ukr (viewed 25.10.2019) [in Ukrainian].
9. Kiev vozmutilsia vyskazyvaniem premer-ministra Venhrii o vozmozhnoi rossiiskoi hehemonii nad Ukrainoi [Kiev resented the Hungarian Prime Minister’s statement about possible Russian hegemony over Ukraine]. (n. d.). www. kurier.lt. Retrieved from http://www.kurier.lt/kiev-vozmutilsya-vyskazyvaniem-premer-ministra-vengrii-o-vozmozhnoj- rossijskoj-gegemonii-nad-ukrainoj/https://www.dw.com/ru/%D1%83%D0%BA%D1%80%D0% (viewed 25.10.2019) [in Russian].
10. Siiiarto zaiavyv, shcho rozkazhe SShA i NATO, yak Ukraina nahaduie «naitemnishi dyktatury» [Siyarto stated that he would tell the US and NATO how Ukraine resembles the “darkest dictatorships”]. (2018). www.eurointegration.com. Retrieved from https://www.eurointegration.com/en/news/2018/10/11/7088082/ (viewed 25.10.2019) [in Ukrainian].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.