BOOK CULTURE IN INDEPENDENT UKRAINE: TRENDS, CHALLENGES, PERSPECTIVES
The article outlines the main tendencies of the formation and development of book culture in Ukraine from the acquiring of independence to the present moment. The content of the concept of “book culture” is defined as being an effective cognitive tool for describing and analyzing the processes of book circulation in a society, from the stage of book creating to the stage of its reception and critics according to the framework of the existing reading culture. It is shown the expediency of the concept in the studies of the socio-cultural processes of independent Ukraine, since these processes acquire the signs of continuity and integrity, as well as radically different from socio-cultural processes of the previous, Soviet period of ideological control and administrative methods of management. There was analyzed such aspects of book culture of modern Ukraine as: the culture of the book as it is, the culture of the book’s distribution in society, and the culture of reading. It is outlined the positive changes such as the liberalization and diversification of the content of the Ukrainian book, the increase of the volume of Ukrainian-language literature and Ukrainian translations, the growth of requirements for the quality of book design, the introduction of the latest marketing and communication technologies in the book market, new approaches to popularization of reading in Ukraine. At the same time, attention is paid to the negative and stagnant processes, the challenges that have been hampered and are now hampering the civilized development of book culture. These challenges are related to the processes of global informatization, the complexity of economic development, the need to resist the hybrid aggression of the RF, the consequences of not far-sighted state policy and the imperfection of Ukrainian legislation. On the basis of an integrated approach to socio-cultural processes is formulated the possible options for answering these challenges. In the conclusion the overcoming of book culture crisis is fixed, as far as the intensification of its development during the last five years.
2. Grypich, S. (2012). Knyzhkova kultura yak skladova suchasnoi duhovnoi kultury [Book culture as a component of modern spiritual culture]. Visnyk Кnyzhkovoi palaty – Bulletin of the Book Chamber, 1, 44–47 [in Ukrainian].
3. Kovalchuk, G. I. (2016). Doslidzhennia istorii knyzhkovoi kultury Ukrainy [Study of the history of book culture of Ukraine]. Visnyk Natsionalnoi akademii nauk Ukrainy – Bulletin of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 4, 76–83 [in Ukrainian].
4. Haliuk, T. M. (Ed). (2014). Problemy rozvytky ukrainskoho knyhovydavnytstva, knyhorozpovsiudzhennia ta perspektyvy pidtrymky knyhochytannia v Ukraini [Problems of Ukrainian book publishing, book distribution and perspectives of reading in Ukraine]. Kyiv: Parlamentske vydavnytstvo (224 p.) [in Ukrainian].
5. Afonin, O. (2018, Nov. 30). Problemy rozvytky ukrainskoho knyhovydannia i perspektyvy pidtrymky knyh i chytannia v Ukraini [Problems of development of Ukrainian book publishing and perspectives of book and reading support in Ukraine]. Biblioteka: misze tradyzii, prostir innovazii: materialy kruhloho stoly, prysviachenoho 55-richchu naukovoi biblioteky Kyivskoho natsionalnoho universytety kultury i mystetstv – Library: place of traditions, space of innovations: materials of the round table devoted to 55th anniversary of scientific library of Kyiv University of Culture and Arts (Pp. 11–17) [in Ukrainian].
6. Marziniak, N. (2011). Stan knyhorozpovsudzhennia v konteksti knyzhkovoi kultury Ukrainy (1946–1991 r.) [The state of book distribution in the context of the book culture of Ukraine (1946–1991)]. Poligraphia i vydavnycha sprava – Polygraphy and Publishing, 2, 77–81 [in Ukrainian].
7. Vasiliev, V. I. (2004). Istioria knizhnoy kultury: teoretiko-metodologicheskie aspekty [The history of book culture: theoretical and methodological aspects]. Moscow: Nauka (111 p.) [in Russian].
8. Bulach, T. (2013). Systema kryteriiv otsinuvannia yakosti knyzhkovoi produktsii [The system of assessing criteria for the quality of book products]. Visnyk Кnyzhkovoi palaty – Bulletin of the Book Chamber, 8, 3–8 [in Ukrainian].
9. Viina i knyhovydannia: yak zminuietsia knyzhkovyi rynok Ukrainy [War and book publishing: how the book market of Ukraine is changing]. (n. d.). www.chytomo.com. Retrieved from http://www.chytomo.com/vijna-i- knyhovydannia-iak-zminiuietsia-knyzhkovyj-rynok-ukrainy/ (viewed 08.04.2019) [in Ukrainian].
10. Vypusk vydavnychoi produktsii v Ukraini v 2018 r. [Issue of publishing products in Ukraine in 2018]. (n. d.). www.ukrbook.net. Retrieved from http://www.ukrbook.net/statistika/statistika_2018.htm (viewed 08.04.2019) [in Ukrainian].
11. Chytannia v Ukraini [Reading in Ukraine]. (n. d.). www.chytomo.com. Retrieved from http://data.chytomo.com/ chytannya-v-ukrayini/ (viewed 08.04.20199) [in Ukrainian].
12. Trofymenko, T. (2016). Panopticum suchasnoi ukrainskoi literatury: klasyky, sychasnyky ta inshi hravtsi v biser [Panopticum of modern Ukrainian literature: classics, contemporaries and other players in beads]. life.pravda.com. ua. Retrieved from https://life.pravda.com.ua/culture/2016/07/27/215611/ (viewed 08.04.2019) [in Ukrainian].
13. Kiurten, J. & Nedilko, N. (2013). Yakisnyi dyzain i ozdoblennia – dodatkovi kozyri v tsyfrovu dobu [Qualitative design and decoration - additional trumps of the book in a digital age]. www.dw.com. Retrieved from https://p.dw. com/p/1AL1V (viewed 08.04.2019) [in Ukrainian].
14. Ohliad rynku. Knyhovydannia [Market overview. Book publishing]. (n. d.). msb.aval.ua. Retrieved from: https:// msb.aval.ua/news/?id=26190 (viewed 08.04.2019) [in Ukrainian].
15. Marynovych Yaroslav. (2018). Rosiany hochut povernutysia na knyzhkovyi rynok Ukrainy. Dlia nyh tse politychne pytannia [Russians want to return to the book market of Ukraine. For them, this is a political issue]. bukvoid.com.ua. Retrieved from http://bukvoid.com.ua/events/interview/2018/07/09/100037.html (viewed 08.04.2019) [in Ukrainian].
16. Spivakovskyi, O. (2019). Reformi sphery zahystu avtorskoho prava ta sumizhnyh prav buty? [Should copyright and related rights be reformed?]. www.golos.com.ua. Retrieved from http://www.golos.com.ua/article/314665 (viewed 08.04.2019) [in Ukrainian].
17. Mykytyn, T. (2008). Knyzhkovi vystavky i yarmarky yak pokaznyk knyzhkovoi kultury (na prykladi Forumu vydavtsiv u Lvovi) [Book exhibitions and fairs as an indicator of book culture (by the example of the Lviv Forum of Publishers)]. Zapysky Lvivskoi naukovoi biblioteky im. V. Stefanyka – Notes of the V. Stefanyk Lviv Scientific Library, 1 (16), 612–621 [in Ukrainian].
18. U Derzhstati nazvaly rehiony z naibilshou kilkistu knyzhkovyh mahazyniv [Gosstat called the regions with the largest number of bookstores]. (n. d.). www.chytomo.com. Retrieved from http://www.chytomo. com/u-derzhstati-nazvaly-rehiony-z-najbilshoiu-kilkistiu-knyharen/ (viewed 08.04.2019) [in Ukrainian].
19. Knyzhnyi shopping v Ukraine i mire [Book shopping in Ukraine and in the world]. (n. d.). www.picodi.com. Retrieved from https://www.picodi.com/ua/mozhna-deshevshe/knizhnyj-shopping-v-ukraine-i-mire (viewed 08.04.2019) [in Russian].
20. Sukhorukova, O. (2016). Svitove knyhovydannia: uroki dlia Ukrainy [World Book Publishing: Lessons for Ukraine].
Zovnishnia torhivlia: ekonomika, finansy, pravo – Foreign Trade: Economics, Finance, Law, 3, 47–58 [in Ukrainian].
21. Rezultaty prohramy popovnennia fondiv publichnych bibliotek 2018 [Results of the program for replenishing funds of public libraries 2018]. (n. d.). book-institute.org.ua. Retrieved from https://book-institute.org.ua/news/rezultati- programi-popovnennya-fondiv-publichnih-bibliotek-2018-pres-reliz (viewed 08.04.2019) [in Ukrainian].
22. Shchotkina, E. (2018). Taina detei Stiva Jobsa. Kto zarabotaet na klipovom myshlenii mass [The secret of Steve Jobs children. Who will receive money on the mass clip thinking]. www.dsnews.ua. Retrieved from http://www.dsnews.ua/ society/tayna-detey-stivena-dzhobsa-kto-zarabotaet-na-klipovom-31072018220000 (viewed 08.04.2019) [in Russian].
23. Vilegzhanina, T. (2011). Kryza chytannia yak suchasna problema svitovoho rivnia [The crisis of reading as a modern world-class problem]. Bibliotechna planeta – Library Planet, 4, 4–6 [in Ukrainian].
24. Serazhim, K. S. (2014). Kultura chytannia v Ukraini [Culture of reading in Ukraine]. Naukovi zapysky Instytutu zhurnalistyky – Scientific notes of the Institute of Journalism, 55, 44–52 [in Ukrainian].
25. V Ukraini brakuie serioznykh dytiachykh knyzhok – experty [Ukraine lacks serious children’s books – experts]. (2015). www.bbc.com. Retrieved from https://bbc.com/ukrainian/entertainment/2015/04/150401_children_books_ ko (viewed 08.04.2019) [in Ukrainian].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.