KEEPING AND PROTECTING CULTURAL HERITAGE IN CRIMEA: ACTUAL CHALLENGES AND PROBLEMS
The article deals with the actual challenges of preserving the cultural heritage in Crimea, which are caused by the expansionary policy of the Russian Federation in the occupied territory of the peninsula. The analysis of the losses suffered by Ukraine as a result of such a policy is carried out against the background of the lack of opportunities for direct access, control and influence on the state of protection and protection of cultural heritage in Crimea. The main challenges to preserving the cultural heritage of the peninsula, in particular, are the destruction of a number of cultural heritage sites and poor restoration works, lack of proper accounting and illegal movement of cultural property. Attention is drawn to the aggravation of the situation, when massive illegal archaeological excavations on the territory of the Crimea caused not only unsatisfactory level of accounting and preservation of archaeological exhibits, but also overcrowding of existing Crimean museum storage facilities. The article argues that the uncontrolledness of these processes becomes a favorable environment for the export of cultural property from the peninsula. It is noted that the situation around the large-scale restoration and emergency work of the occupation authority on objects of cultural heritage and museum institutions of the peninsula has a similar purpose. The consequence of such activity is the loss of the authentic appearance of objects of cultural heritage as a result of low-quality works and the destruction of archaeological objects due to the lack of their further conservation and museum design. It is argued that the policy of the Russian Federation (RF) is focused on submission to the jurisdiction of the Russian side and appropriation of the cultural heritage of Crimea. Disordered and weak control over these processes leads to criminalization of relations in the sphere of protection of the cultural heritage of the peninsula, including illegal circulation of cultural values, financial fraud from the performed restoration works on the objects of cultural heritage in Crimea, etc. Thus, the destructive policies of the peninsula is the cultural heritage and some public discontent caused by the limited access of local people to cultural heritage sites in particular that may be favorable factor for de occupation of the peninsula in the future.
2. Tyshchenko, Yu. (Ed.), Kazdobina, Yu., & Dyachuk, M. (2016). Krym. Aneksovana vlasnist [Annexed Property in Crimea]. Kyiv (148 p.) www.ucipr.org.ua. Retrieved from http://www.ucipr.org.ua/index.php?option=com_content& view=category&layout=blog&id=42&Itemid=205&lang=ua (viewed 04.03.2019) [in Ukrainian].
3. Kot, S. I. (2016). Problemy zakhystu kulturnykh tsinnosteі na okupovanykh terytoriіakh Krymu ta m. Sevastopolіa [Problems of protection of cultural values in the occupied territories of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol]. In: Kulturni tsinnosti Krymu i Donbasu v umovakh viіny ta okupatsii – Cultural values of Crimea and Donbass in the conditions of war and occupation. Kyiv (90 p.). history.org.ua. Retrieved from http://history.org.ua/Liber UA/978-966-02-7932-2/978-966-02-7932-2.pdf (viewed 05.03.2019) [in Ukrainian].
4. Perelik pamіatok kulturnoі spadshchyny natsionalnoho znachennіa Avtonomnoi Respubliky Krym, zanesenykh do Derzhavnoho reіestru nerukhomykh pamіatok Ukrainy [List of monuments of the cultural heritage of the National significance of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, entered in the State Register of immovable monuments of Ukraine]. (n. d.). mincult.kmu.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://mincult.kmu.gov.ua/control/publish/article?art_ id=245082570 (viewed 04.03.2019) [in Ukrainian].
5. Arkheologicheskiіe ekspeditsii sdali 14 tys. nakhodok v muzeіnyіe fondy Kryma [Archaeological expeditions handed over 14 thousand finds to the museum funds of Crimea]. (n. d.). regnum.ru. Retrieved from https://regnum.ru/ news/2532883.html (viewed 12.03.2019) [in Russian].
6. Follow-up of the situation in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea (Ukraine). (2017, Aug. 8). unesdoc.unesco.org.
Retrieved from https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000252788 (viewed 26.02.2019) [in English].
7. Genprokuratura vynesla predstavleniіe Minkultu [Prosecutor General’s Office issued a submission to the Ministry of Culture]. (2018, Sept. 24). an-crimea.ru. Retrieved from https://an-crimea.ru/page/news/174628 (viewed 11.03.2019) [in Russian].
8. FSB Kryma otdala muzeiu otobrannyie u «chernykh arkheologov» tsennosti [The Federal Security Service of the Crimea gave to the museum the values taken away from the “black archeologists”]. (2018, Dec. 21). an-crimea.ru. Retrieved from https://an-crimea.ru/page/news/174628 (viewed 11.03.2019) [in Russian].
9. V Krymu naidut vinovnykh v provale rekonstruktsii Mitridatskoi lestnitsy [In the Crimea, will find those responsible for the failure of the reconstruction of the Mitridat stairs]. (2018, Sept. 14). rg.ru. Retrieved from https://rg.ru/2018/09/14/reg-ufo/v-kerchi-najdut-vinovnyh-v-provale-rekonstrukcii-mitridatskoj-lestnicy.html (viewed 12.03.2019) [in Russian].
10. Za chas okupatsii Krymu Rosia vyvezla shchonaimenshe milion arkheolohichnykh artefaktiv [During the occupation of Crimea, Russia took out at least one million archaeological artifacts]. (2019, Jen. 17). www.unian.ua. Retrieved from https://www.unian.ua/science/10412445-za-chas-okupaciji-krimu-rosiya-vivezla-shchonaymenshe- milyon-arheologichnih-artefaktiv.html (viewed 05.03.2019) [in Ukrainian].
11. Konventsyia o zashchite kulturnykh tsennostei v sluchaie vooruzhennogo konflikta (14 maia 1954 goda) [Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict on May 14, 1954]. (n. d.). zakon.rada.gov.ua. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_157 (viewed 27.02.2019) [in Russian].
12. Konventsia pro zakhody, spriamovani na zaboronu ta zapobihannia nezakonnomu vvezenniu, vyvezenniu ta peredachi prava vlasnosti na kulturni tsinnosti (vid 14 lystopada 1970 r.) [Convention on Measures Aimed at the Prohibition and Prevention of the Illegal Import, Export and Transfer of Ownership of Cultural Property (dated November 14, 1970)]. (n. d.). zakon.rada.gov.ua. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_186 (viewed 28.02.2019) [in Ukrainian].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.