ROLE AND IMPORTANCE OF PROTECTION OF THE NATIONAL MINORITIES RIGHTS IN BILATERAL UKRAINIAN-HUNGARIAN RELATIONS
The author analyzes the events and tendencies related to the issues of protection of the national minorities’ rights that have been observed in Ukrainian-Hungarian relations since the time Ukraine had gained independence. The attention is focused to the role and significance of this issue in the establishment and development of bilateral Ukrainian-Hungarian relations. The protection of the national minorities’ rights is an important issue for both parties, which is confirmed by inclusion of special provisions in the basic bilateral cooperation agreement and creation of special institution – the intergovernmental joint commission – to monitor the fulfillment of obligations in this area. Due to such actions both Ukrainian national minority in Hungary and Hungarian national minority in Ukraine have appropriate conditions for maintenance and development of their national and cultural identities.
Based on the study of the materials of joint commissions meetings and information reports, the author focuses on the gradual intensification of discussion that actually led to the interruption of the institution’s activities; gives examples of the unfavorable actions of the Ukrainian authorities towards Hungarian national minority. Dissatisfaction with such a situation by Hungarian national minority representatives and the official Budapest respectively leads to the gradual weakening of bilateral relations.
The author comes to the conclusion that nowadays protection of the national minorities rights plays a significant role in the formation of bilateral interstate Ukrainian-Hungarian relations. This issue had been the unifying factor at the beginning of these relations. Now it is gradually turning into destructive problem between the states. There is a particularly disturbing fact that such an atmosphere of distrust at the level of high intergovernmental relations is gradually transforming into both the political environment and the public of two neighboring states, which, according to the author’s opinion, are destined for friendship and cooperation.
2. Deklaratsiia pro pryztsypy spivrobitnytstva Ukrainskoi RSR i Uhorskoi Respubliky po zabezpetsenniu prav natsionalnykh menshostei [Declaration on Principles of Cooperation between the Ukrainian SSR and the Hungarian Republic for the Protection of the Rights of National Minorities]. (2001). Zibrannia chynnykh mizhnarodnykh dohovoriv Ukrainy – Collections of current international treaties of Ukraine. Vol. 1, 1990–1991. Kyiv (pp. 169–172) [in Ukrainian].
3. Protokol do Deklaratsii pro pryztsypy spivrobitnytstva Ukrainskoi RSR i Uhorskoi Respubliky po zabezpetsenniu prav natsionalnykh menshostei [Protocol to the Declaration on Principles of Cooperation between the Ukrainian SSR and the Hungarian Republic for the Protection of the Rights of National Minorities]. Zibrannia chynnykh mizhnarodnykh dohovoriv Ukrainy – Collection of current international treaties of Ukraine. (2001). Vol. 1, 1990–1991. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
4. Jeszenszky, Géza. (2016). Kísérlet a trianoni trauma orvoslására. Magyarország szomszédságpolitikája a rendszerváltás éveiben [Attempts to remedy Trianon trauma. Hungary’s neighborhood policy during the regime change]. Budapest [in Hungarian].
5. Tkach, D. (2004). Suchasna Uhorshchyna v konteksti suspilnykh transformatsii [Contemporary Hungary in the context of social transformations]. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
6. Shypka, N. (2007). Uhorska natsionalna menshyna yak chynnyk formuvania ukrsainsko-uhorskykh mizhderzhavnykh politychnykh vidnosin (1991–2006) [Hungarian National Minority as a Factor for the Formation of UkrainianHungarian Interstate Political Relations (1991–2006)]. Zbirnyk naukovykh prats "Ukrainska zatsionalna ideia: realii ta perspektyvy rozvytku". – Collection of scientific works "Ukrainian National Idea: Realities and Prospects of Development". Vol. 19. Lviv [in Ukrainian].
7. Ostapets, Yu. & Skyba, I. (2009). Suspilno-politychnyi ta kulturnyi rozvytok uhortsiv Zakarpattia (1991–2008 rr.) [Socio-political and cultural development of the Hungarians of Transcarpathia (1991–2008). Naukovyi chasopys NPU im. M.P. Drahomanovа – Scientific journal of the National Pedagogical Dragomanov University. Vol. 2 [in Ukrainian].
8. Pelyn, O. (2012). Transformatsia stanovyshcha ukraintsiv Uhorshchyny ta uhortsiv Ukrainy [Transformation of the situation of Ukrainians of Hungary and Hungarians of Ukraine]. a-pelin.info. Retrieved fromhttp://a-pelin. info/?go=pub&item=48[in Ukrainian].
9. Popok, A. (2010). Dialnist zmishanykh mizhuriadovykh komisii z pytan zabezpechennia prav osib, yaki nalezhat do natsionalnykh menshyn [Activities of mixed intergovernmental commissions on issues of ensuring the rights of persons belonging to national minorities]. kbuapa.kharkov.ua. Retrieved from http://www.kbuapa.kharkov.ua/e-book/ apdu/2010-1/doc/1/11.pdf [in Ukrainian].
10. Vybory deputativ Verkhovnoi Rady Avtonomnoi Respubliky Krym, miscevykh rad ta silskykh, selyshchnykh, miskykh holiv 25 zhovtnia 2015 roku [Elections of deputies of the Verkhovna Rada of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, local councils and village, settlement and city mayors on October 25, 2015]. (n.d.). cvk.gov.ua Retrieved from http://www.cvk.gov.ua/vm_2015 [in Ukrainian]
11. Uhorski partii Zakarpattia vvazhaiut, shcho vlada Porosenka svidomo pereshkodzhaie yikh potraplanniu v oblradu. Zaiava Tovarystva uhorskoi kultury Zakarpattia ta Demokratichnoi spilky uhortsiv Ukrainy u zviazku zi stvorenniam vyborchykh okruhiv v Berehivskomu raioni [Hungarian parties of Transcarpathia believe that the power of Poroshenko deliberately prevents them from entering the regional council. Statement of the Hungarian Society of Transcarpathia and the Democratic Union of Hungarians of Ukraine in connection with the establishment of electoral districts in the Berehove district]. (2015, 22 Sept.). zakarpattya.net.ua. Retrieved from http://zakarpattya.net.ua/ News/145995-Uhorski-partii-Zakarpattia-vvazhaiut-shcho-vlada-Poroshenka-svidomo-pereshkodzhaie-ikhpotraplianniu-v-oblradu[in Ukrainian].
12. Smoloskypnoiu khodoiu vshanuvaly heroiv Karpatskoi Ukrainy u Uzhorodi [The heroes of the Carpathian Ukraine in Uzhgorod honored the flame-throwing procession]. (n.d.). unn.com.ua. Retrieved fromhttp://www.unn.com.ua/ uk/news/1554713-smoloskipnoyu-khodoyu-vshanuvali-geroyiv-karpatskoyi-ukrayini-u-uzhgorodi[in Ukrainian].
13. Lyst-vidpovid holovi Sluzhby bezpeky Ukrainy V. Hritsaka narodnomu deputatu Ukrainy V. Brenzovychu vid 24.03.2016 r. № 10/Б-7/120 shchodo vidkryttia 17.03.2016 r. kryminalnoho provadzhennia № 42016070000000047 [Letter and answer of the head of the Security Service of Ukraine V. Hrytsak to the people’s deputy of Ukraine V. Brenzovych from March 24, 2016, No. 10/B-7/120 concerning the opening of criminal proceedings No. 42016070000000047 of March 17, 2016]. (Kopiia – v arkhivi avtora) [in Ukrainian].
14. Tovt, M. (2017). Novi zasady movnoho rehuliuvannia abo nove konstytuiuvannia derzhavy? [New principles of linguistic regulation or new constitution of the state?]. Pravova derzhava – The State of Law. Vol. 28. Kyiv (pp. 391–400) [in Ukrainian].
15. Lyst-vidpovid Pershoho zastupnyka Ministra osvity i nauky Ukrainy № 1/11–15499 vid 02.12.2016 r. na zvernennia hromadskykh orhanizatsii [Letter-reply of the First Deputy Minister of Education and Science of Ukraine No. 1/1115499 dated 02.12.2016 to the appeal of public organizations]. (Kopiia – v arkhivi avtora) [in Ukrainian].
16. Poroshenko pidpysav zakon pro movni kvoty na telebachenni. [Poroshenko signed the law on language quotas for television]. (2017, June 6). espreso.tv. Retrieved from http://espreso.tv/news/2017/06/06/poroshenko_pidpysav_ zakon_pro_movni_kvoty_na_telebachenni [in Ukrainian].