THE PROBLEMS OF DEFINING THE SCOPE OF ENERGY SECURITY REGULATION
The article deals with the problem of determining the scope regulation in energy security domain. The need to review energy security regulation was stipulated by the emergence of new challenges and threats to energy security, in particular the use of hybrid warfare methods and utilizing energy as a tool to pursuit political goals on international arena as well as by the need to coordinate involvement of different actors into policy of ensuring the country’s energy security.
The research focuses on elaborating spheres of regulation, taking into account available knowledge of theoretical principles and legal practices of energy security regulation by individual countries. The article argues the need for a systematic approach to the study of this problem. There was suggested the method how to describe the “subject” and “object” of governance, to define the scope of regulation, to shape institutional and functional structure of activities in the field of energy security. The paper proposes the methodology for formalization of governance in accordance to the cycle of strategic management approach as well. The article analyzes the legislation of the USA, of individual EU member states, EU energy security legislation. The main approaches to the regulation of some aspects of energy security in these countries as well as theirs shortcomings are highlighted in the paper.
According to the results of the study, the definition of the term “energy security” has been clarified and the scope of regulation on energy security has been established. There have been proposed priorities of energy security legislation improvements that allow implementing systematic approach of energy security policy and implement national security priorities into activities of all involved actors.
2. Smenkovskiy, A. Yu. (Ed.). (2012). Zahrozy enerhetychniy bezpetsi Ukrainy v umovakh posylennia konkurentsii na hlobalnomu ta rehionalnomu rynkakh enerhetychnykh resursiv [Threats to energy security of Ukraine in conditions of strengthening of competition at regional and world energy markets]. Kyiv: NISS [іn Ukrainian]
3. Stohnii, B. S., Kyrylenko, O. V., & Denysiuk, S. P. (2006). Enerhetychna bezpeka Ukrainy. Svitovi ta natsionalni vyklyky [Energy security of Ukraine. World and national calls]. Kyiv: Ukrainski entsyklopedychni znannia [іn Ukrainian].
4. Prodan, Yu. V., & Stohnii, B. S. (Eds.). (2008). Enerhetychna bezpeka Ukrainy: otsinka ta napriamky zabezpechennia [Ukraine’s energy security: assessment and guidelines for ensuring]. Kyiv: GRIFRE [іn Ukrainian].
5. Prokip, A. V. (2011). Harantuvannia enerhetychnoyi bezpeky: mynule, sogodennia, maibutnie [Ensuring Energy Security: Past, Present, Future]. Lviv: ZUKC [іn Ukrainian].
6. Bobrov, E. A. (2013). Enerhetychna bezpeka derzhavy [Energy Security of the state]. Kyiv: University KROK [іn Ukrainian].
7. Zemlianyi, M. G. (2009). Do otsinky rivnia enerhetychnoi bezpeky. Kontseptualni pidkhody [To the question of assessment of the level of energy security. Conceptual approaches]. Stratehichni priorytety – Strategic Priorities, 2, 56– 64 [in Ukrainian].
8. Barannick, V. O. (2012). Enerhetychna bezpeka: rehionalnyi vymir [Energy security. Regional dimension]. www. db.niss.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://www.db.niss.gov.ua/docs/energy/EnSecBa1.pdf (viewed 23.01.2019) [in Ukrainian].
9. Sukhodolia, О. (2014). Teoretyko-metodolohichni zasady zabezpechennia enerhetychnoi bezpeky Ukrainy [Theoretical and methodological principles of energy security of Ukraine]. Stratehichni priorytety – Strategic Priorities, 2, 129–139 [in Ukrainian].
10. Luft, G., & Korin, A. (Eds.). (2009). Energy Security Challenges for the 21st Century: A Reference Handbook. Praeger Security International [in English].
11. Westphal, K., & Scholl, E. (2017). European Energy Security Reimagined. www.swp-berlin.org. Retrieved from https://www.swp-berlin.org/fileadmin/contents/products/research_papers/2017RP04_Scholl_wep.pdf (viewed 20.02.2019) [in English].
12. Yergin, D. (1994). The Prize (The Epic Quest for Oil, Money and Power). New York, Simon&Schuster, Pocket Books [in English].
13. Kalicki, J. H., & Goldwyn, D. L. (Eds.). (2005). Energy and Security: Toward a New Foreign Policy Strategy.
Washington – Baltimore: Woodrow Wilson Center Press, Johns Hopkins University Press [in English].
14. Winzer, Christian. (2011). Conceptualizing Energy Security. CWPE 1151 & EPRG 1123. www.repository.cam.ac.uk. Retrivied from https://www.repository.cam.ac.uk/bitstream/handle/1810/242060/cwpe1151.pdf?sequence=1 (viewed 23.01.2019) [in English].
15. Azzuni, A., & Breyer, C. (2018) Definitions and dimensions of energy security: a literature review. WIREs Energy Environ. doi.org. Retrivied from https://doi.org/10.1002/wene.268 (viewed 20.02.2019) [in English].
16. Cherp, A., & Jewell, J. (2014). The concept of energy security: Beyond the four As. Energy Policy, 75 (c), 415–421. portal.research.lu.se. Retrivied from http://portal.research.lu.se/ws/files/3277110/4938909.pdf (viewed 23.01.2019) [in English].
17. Couder, J. (2015). Literature Review on Energy Efficiency and Energy Security, including Power Reliability and Avoided Capacity Costs. combi-project.eu. Retrivied from https://combi-project.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ D7.1.pdf (viewed 20.02.2019) [in English].
18. Sukhodolia, О. (2017). Heopolitychni ta ekonomichni priorytety zabezpechennia enerhetychoi bezpeku Ukrainy [Geopolitical and Economic Priorities of Ukraine’s Energy Security]. Stratehichna panorama – Strategic Panorama, 1, 42–52 [іn Ukrainian].
19. Sukhodolia, О., & Smenkovski, А. (2013). Enerhetychnyi sector Ukrainy: perspectuvy reformuvannia chu stahnatsii [The energy sector of Ukraine: the prospect of reform or stagnation]. Stratehichni priorytety – Strategic Priorities, 2, 74–80 [in Ukrainian].
20. Horbulin, V. (Ed.). (2015). Svitova hibrydna viina: Ukrainskiy front [World Hybrid war: Ukrainian Forefront]. Кyiv: NISS [іn Ukrainian].
21. Sukhodolia, О. (2016). Enerhetychne Spivtovarystvo ta Ukraina: tsili, priorytety ta problemy spivpratsi [Energy Community and Ukraine: Objectives, Priorities and Problems of cooperation]. Stratehichni priorytety – Strategic Priorities, 2, 13–26 [in Ukrainian].
22. Sukhodolia, О. (Ed.). (2015). Enerhetychna Stratehia yak instrument polityky enerhetychnoi bezpeku [Energy Strategy as a Tool of Energy Security Policy]. Kyiv: NISS [іn Ukrainian].
23. The IEA Model of Short-term Energy Security (MOSES). (2011). Working paper. OECD/IEA [in English].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.