STRATEGIC AND SECURITY QUESTIONS IN GULF COUNTRIES AND MIDDLE EAST REGION IN CONTEXT OF HISTORIC DEVELOPMENT
The article researches complex of problems connected with contemporary situation in the Gulf countries and Middle East in general. The author lso studies histori roots of the contemporary security situation on the Middle East. An acent is made on the influence of 1979 islamic revolution in Irancountry, known as «welayet a-fakhih». It’s main aim has as iran-iraq war in 1980–1988, the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan became the decisive factors of creation in 1981 of integration structure known as Arab Gulf Сooperation Сouncil (GCC). American military intervention in Iraq in 2003 had its consequence the violation of historic balance of forces between the shia and the sunni followers that lead to the strengthening of Iranian influence in the Middle East region. After the revolutions of «Arab Spring» centre of tension moved to Syria that gradually transformed in the main front of confrontation between the two camps: regime of B. Ossad, Iran, Turkey, Russia on the side, and USA, Saudi Arabia and Israel – on the other side. Coming to power in the USA of President Donald Trump created favourable conditions for the forming of single anti-Iran front, consisting of the USA and their closest allies on the Middle East – Israel and Saudi Arabia. The author also studied main particularities and aims of contemporary American strategy concerning Iran? Tendencies of struggle around demands of preparation of a new, wider nuclear threat with Iran. The author analyses contemporary positions of European Union towards the Iran problem, influence of the American-European differences with regard Iran on the security situation in Middle East region. The conclusions formulate tasks for Ukraine concerning the policy of national security of our country, taking into account the current situation in the Gulf region and the Middle East. First of all, it dwells on transfer of the Ukrainian relation with the leading countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council to the level of strategic partnership as well as balanced economic cooperation with Iran in the conditions of acting American sanctions.
2. Koppel O. A. (1998). Problemy bezpeky Perskoi zatoky v 70-ti – 90-ti roky [Security problems of Persian Gulfin 70-90 years]. Kyiv: Shkoliar [in Ukrainian].
3. Blyzkyi Skhid: mizhnarodna bezpeka, rehionalni vidnosyny ta perspectyvy dlia Ukrainy [Middle East: international security, regional relations and perspectives for Ukraine]. (2008). (B.O. Parahonskyi, Ed.). Kyiv: Foliant [in Ukrainian].
4. Volovich, O.O. (Ed.), Igoshina, Zh.B., & Makyh, V.V. et al. (2011). Stratehiia aktyvizatsii spivpratsi Ukrainy z derzhavamy Perskoi zatoky [Strategic activation of Ukraine’s cooperation with Gul States]. Odesa: Feniks [in Ukrainian].
5. Igoshina, Zn.B. (2012). Transformatsia arabskyh krain u konteksti hlobalizatsii [Transformation of Arab states in the context of globalization]. Odesa: Phenix [in Ukrainian].
6. Boghardt, L.Pl. (2018, Apr. 9). Charting a New Course on the Gulf Rift. The Washington Institute for Near East Policy. www.washingtoninstitute.org. Retrieved from http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/policy-analysis/view/charting-a-new-course-on-the-gulf-rift [in English].
7. Cordesman, A.H. (2018, May. 9). Mission Impossible? Eight White House Requirements Iran Must Meet as Part of a Post-JCPOA Strategy. Center for Strategic and International Studie. swww.csis.org. Retrieved from https://www.csis.org/analysis/mission-impossible-eight-white-house-requirements-iran-must-meet-part-post-jcpoa-strategy [in English].
8. Jeffrey, James, & Henderson, S. (2017, July 6). Qatar Crisis: Worst Case Scenarios. The CIPHE_R Brief. www.thecipherbrief.com. Retrieved from https://www.thecipherbrief.com/article/middle-east/qatar-crisis-worst-case-scenarios [in English].
9. Henderson, S. (2017, June 30). The Palace Intrigue at the Heart of the Qatar Crisis. The Washington Institute for Near East Policy. www.washingtoninstitute.org. Retrieved from http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/policy-analysis/view/the-palace-intrigue-at-the-heart-of-the-qatar-crisis [in English].
10. Trager, E. (2017, July 2). The Muslim Brotherhood Is the Root of the Qatar Crisis. The Washington Institute for Near East Policy. www.washingtoninstitute.org. Retrieved from http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/policy-analysis/view/the-muslim-brotherhood-is-the-root-of-the-qatar-crisis [in English].
11. Ulrichsen, Kr. G. (2017, Sept. 26). The AGSIW Visious of Change Series. Economic Diversification Plans: Challenges and Prospects for Gulf Policymakers. The Arab Gulf States Institution [in English].
12. Young, K.E. (2017, Oct. 26). Saudi Arabia’s Neom: State-Led Growth Meets New Global Capitalism. The Washington Institute for Near East Policy. www.agsiw.org. Retrieved from http://www.agsiw.org/saudi-arabias-neom-state-led-growth-meets-new-global-capitalism/ [in English].
13. Ibish, H. (2017, Dec. 19). How Trump’s National Security Strategy Will be Read in the Gulf. The Arab Gulf States Institute in Washington. www.agsiw.org. Retrieved from http://www.agsiw.org/how-trumps-national-security-will-be-read-gulf/ [in English].
14. Muaser, M. (2014). The Second Arab Awakening: And the Battle for Pluralism. Yale University Press, USA [in English].
15. Wahba, M. M. (2017, Sept. 29). The Role of the Gulf Arab States in a Transforming Middle East. The Arab Gulf States Institute in Washington. www.agsiw.org. Retrieved from http://www.agsiw.org/role-gulf-arab-states-transforming-middle-east/ [in English].
16. Gause, Gregory F. III. (2009). The International Relations of the Persian Gulf. Cambridge University Press [in English].
17. Israel-Iran Tension Reaches Unprecedented Level. (2018, May 11). www.voanews.com. Retrieved from https://www.voanews.com/a/israel-iran-tension-reaches-unprecedented-level/4390817.html [in English].
18. The new Saudis. Chaos in the Middle East casts Saudi Arabia at the Arab World’s leader. But it must reform faster. (2015, May 21). The Economist. economist.com. Retrieved from https://www.economist.com/leaders/2015/05/21/the-new-saudis [in English].
19. Ottaway, D. (2015, May 18). Obama’s Arab Security Strategy. Foreign Affairs. www.foreignaffairs.com. Retrieved from https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/persian-gulf/2015-05-18/obamas-arab-security-strategy [in English].
20. National Security Strategy of the United States of America. (2017, Dec.). Washington, The White House, 68 р. [in English].
21. Riyadh, Washington Agree on Need for “Regional Security Structure” (2017). eng-archive.aawsat.com. Retrieved from https://eng-archive.aawsat.com/asharq-al-awsat-english/news-middle-east/saudi-arabia/riyadh-washington-agree-strategic-partnership-21st-century [in English].
22. Ibish, H. Gulf Leaders Welcome JCPOA Withdrawal but Plan B Remains Unclear. The Arab Gulf States Institute in Washington. www.agsiw.org. Retrieved from http://www.agsiw.org/gulf-leaders-welcome-jcpoa-withdrawal-but-plan-b-remains-unclear/ [in English].
23. Alkhereiji, M. Saudi Crown Prince Says His Country to Seek Nuclear Bomb if Iran Does. (n.d.). www.middle-east-online.com. Retrieved from https://www.middle-east-online.com/en/saudi-crown-prince-says-his-country-seek-nuclear-bomb-if-iran-does [in English].
24. Netanyahu To Adress Country With “Dramatic News About Iran Monday Night”. (2018, Apr. 30). The Jerusalem Post. www.jpost.com. Retrieved from https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Benjamin-Netanyahu/Netanyahu-to-address-country-with-dramatic-news-about-Iran-Monday-night-553120 [in English].
25. Regime change in Iran is goal of Trump’s sanctions, tough U.S. terms, analysts say. (2018, May 9). www.washingtontimes.com. Retrieved from https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/9/iran-regimen-change-seen-goal-trump-sanctions-dema/ [in English].
26. Morello, C. (2018, May 21). Pompeo vows U.S., Mideast allies will ‘crush’ Iranian operatives around the world. The Washington Post. www.washingtonpost.com. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/pompeo-vows-us-mideast-allies-will-crush-iranian-operatives-around-the-world/2018/05/21/289dc64a-5acb-11e8-8836-a4a123c359ab_story.html?utm_term=.d0d47eec5cdc[in English].
27. No alternative to Iran nuclear deal, EU foreign policy chief tells US. (2018, May 22). english.alarabiya.net. Retrieved from https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2018/05/22/-No-alternative-to-Iran-nuclear-deal-EU-foreign-policy-chief-tells-US-.html [in English].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.