UKRAINIAN-HUNGARIAN RELATIONS: BILATERAL ISSUES AND THE ROLE OF HISTORICAL SCIENCE
The problematic issues in the Ukrainian-Hungarian relations are discussed, which have been particularly aggravated in recent times, primarily because of the change of Hungarian foreign policy and the actualization of the Hungarian factor in Ukraine’s domestic policy. It is noted, in particular, that the current accusations of Hungary against Ukraine regarding the violation of the rights of the Hungarian national minority and the requirements of autonomy for the Hungarians of Transcarpathia are groundless, since the new Law of Ukraine «On Education» pursues the goal of fully involving the Transcarpathian Hungarians in social, political, economic and cultural life. Ukraine, which is impossible without the knowledge of the state language.
The article also focuses on the role of historical science and the cooperation of historians of both countries in solving disputed and under-studied issues of Ukrainian-Hungarian relations, which are not only treated differently by Ukrainian and Hungarian scholars, but are often used by politicians to justify their actions and intentions. This is, in particular, about a different interpretation of the common historical past of the Hungarians and Rusyn-Ukrainians. For example, the occupation and annexation of the Carpathian Ukraine by Hungary in March 1939, which not only resulted in a radical change in the socio-political life of the Transcarpathians, which was reflected in the transition from the state-legal principles of democracy to the model of the Czechoslovak Republic of 1918–1939 to the Hungarian authoritarian political regime, and and led to significant changes in the ethno-cultural and cultural spheres, is interpreted by Hungarian historians as
«the restoration of the millennial Hungarian-Russian coexistence.» At the same time, this «recovery» was accompanied by a phased implementation of the strategic goal of the supporters of Great Hungary in 1939–1944: the administrative and political incorporation of Transcarpathia (the socalled Subcarpathian region) into the state legal system of the Kingdom of Hungary and the complete degeneration of its population, that is, the transformation of the land into an integral part of Hungary, and the locals – on the Ural-Rus.
It is noted that increased attention to national history, culture and language, patriotic education, family values and spiritual revival takes place today in the neighboring state on the basis of the propaganda of the greatness of «Great Hungary» that existed before the First World War. It means, if not territorial, at least the political and economic restoration of «Great Hungary» within the framework of the Trianon Peace Treaty of 1920, which is officially recognized as the greatest tragedy of the modern Hungarian nation. These ideas are inspired by most of the publications of modern Hungarian social scientists and publicists, in particular on the history of Transcarpathia, and the activities of scientists and socio-political representatives of the Hungarian national minority in Ukraine.
2. Chatham House report. The struggle for Ukraine. (2017). chathamhouse.org. Retrieved from https://www. chathamhouse.org/publication/struggle-for-ukraine [in English].
3. Levy: Instytuty ES ne budut rabotat, poka ne budet politicheskoi federatsii Yevropy [Levy: EU Institutions will not work until there is a political federation of Europe]. (2016). evrointegration.com.ua. Retrieved from http://www. evrointegration.com.ua/rus/interview/2016/10/107055333/ [in Russian].
4. Vіd Nimechchyny do Malty: yaki krainy ES dopomahaiut Ukraini, a yaki symuliuiut pidtrymku [From Germany to Malta: which EU countries help Ukraine, and which simulate support]. (n.d.). evrointegration.com.ua. Retrieved from http://www.eurointegration.com.ua/articles/2016/10/20/7056180/ [in Ukrainian].
5. Fedinec, C., Halas, I. & Toth, M. (2016). A fuggetlen Ukrajna. Allamepites, alkotmanyozas es elsullyesztett kincsek [Independent Ukraine State-building, constitution and lost treasures]. Budapest [in Hungarian].
6. Vidnianskyi, S. (2016). Aktualizatsiia «rusynskoho pytannia» v Zakarpatti ta za yoho mezhamy v konteksti aneksii Krymu i viiny na skhodi Ukrainy [The update of the "Rusyn question" in Transcarpathia and beyond in the context of the annexation of the Crimea and the war in eastern Ukraine]. In.: Natsionalne pytannya v Ukrayini: vyklyky suchasnosti, uroky istoriyi. Dopovidi ta materialy vseukrayinskoi naukovoi konferentsii. 20 lystopada 2014 r. – National Issues in Ukraine: Challenges of Modernity, History Lessons. Reports and materials of the All-Ukrainian scientific conference. November 20, 2014. Кyiv [in Ukrainian].